Most people believe that healthcare jobs require many years of formal education. However, the healthcare system provides opportunities for people of all academic levels, and many students are able to enter the medical field without a bachelor’s degree. Moreover, not only there are many opportunities to land a healthcare job without a degree, but most of these positions are growing faster than average for all occupations.
In this article, we identified seven healthcare professions that you can get started on without earning a bachelor’s degree. Keep reading to learn about these high-demand careers, that not only they are meaningful careers, but will also get you a decent paycheck. Here are the contents involved:
- What is an allied healthcare career?
- What is the job of a medical assistant?
- Is surgical technology a fulfilling profession?
- What is a medical coder?
- Can you work as a nurse without a degree?
- Is medical laboratory technology an interesting career?
- What is a physical therapist assistant?
- Is being a pharmacy technician worthy?
- How can Connect Health help you find healthcare jobs in the UAE?
1. What is an allied healthcare career?
Allied health careers encompass a huge range of professions from medical coders to surgical technologists. These professionals work supporting other medical professionals like doctors, dentists, pharmacists, and nurses.
Though some allied health careers (like occupational therapists) require advanced degrees, the vast majority require certifications that can be earned in less than a year, and even there are some positions that do not require prior formal education at all
Allied healthcare careers are more popular than ever because huge student loans are not appealing to most people anymore, so it is no wonder that more students are choosing healthcare jobs that do not require a degree. In the coming lines, we are going to take a look at some of these positions.
2. What is the job of a medical assistant?
Medical assistants do a little bit of everything in the medical office to support physicians and provide basic care. From clinical tasks to administrative duties. They work on the frontlines as well as behind the scenes to keep operations running smoothly in the medical office.
The tasks that medical assistants perform on a daily basis will vary depending on the place in which they work. Some common duties are: answering phone calls, scheduling appointments, welcoming patients, updating and filling out medical records, interviewing patients, preparing the examination room for the specialist, taking vital signs such as heart rate, blood pressure, respiration rate, and body temperature, and assisting the physician during procedures or examinations.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for a medical assistant is around $36,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $26,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $50,000 per year. A medical assistant earns on average AED 60,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for medical assistants expect to grow by 23 percent. This is five times faster than the average for all occupations.
- Education requirements: Although formal education is not a requirement for these healthcare jobs, many employers prefer to hire medical assistants who have been registered or certified. You can get a medical assisting diploma in as few as 12 months.
3. Is surgical technology a fulfilling profession?
Surgical technologists, also known as operating room technicians, scrubs, or scrub technicians, work alongside doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, and surgical first assistants to ensure safe and sterile surgical procedures are carried out. They are the firsts to arrive at the operating room to prepare it and the lasts to leave.
Surgical technologists are in charge of preparing the patient before surgery, sterilizing the equipment and the operating room, wheeling the patient to the OR, and last but not least, handling instruments to the surgeons at their request, and even holding organs or tissue samples.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for this medical field career is around $49,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $31,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $68,500 per year. A surgical technologist earns on average AED 115,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for surgical technologists expect to grow 8 percent. This is a bit faster than the average for all occupations.
- Education requirements: In order to become a surgical technologist, some formal education is required. You will need to complete a surgical technology diploma or certificate program. Certificate programs and diplomas normally take a year or less to complete.
4. What is a medical coder?
Medical coders are healthcare professionals in charge of reviewing medical files and translating them into universal codes required by insurance companies. After a healthcare provider treats a patient, the insurance firm needs to know what has been done to the patient to process the bill. Common language is too unclear and inexact to give the insurance firm the accurate information it needs, so specific codes are used to define medical procedures.
It is the job of the medical coder to pass along this information in a way that is exact and efficient. Everything that is done to the patient is reviewed, translated, and coded. This normally includes tests for diagnosis, treatments, and supplies used. The coder also needs to indicate if there were any unusual circumstances during the patient’s stay in the healthcare facility.
Although the word “code” is in the career’s title, medical coders are not computer programmers. They also do not keep medical files nor protect the confidentiality and safety of medical documentation stored digitally.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for a medical coder is around $42,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $29,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $58,000 per year. A medical coder earns on average AED 83,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for medical coders expect to grow 11 percent, almost two times faster than the average for all occupations.
- Education requirements: Although some employers do not mind hiring medical coders who only have a high school diploma or a GED certificate, most prefer medical coders with formal education. But do not worry about that, you can complete a medical coding program in just eight months.
5. Can you work as a nurse without a degree?
There are different paths to becoming a nurse. If you want to work as fast as possible and do not want to enroll in a 4-year bachelor’s degree program, you may consider taking an LPN or LVN program. In order to become an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) or an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) you only need to complete a one-year program.
As an LPN or LVN, you will provide direct care to your patients. Is important to take into consideration that your work will be supervised by RNs (Registered Nurses) and doctors. The level of supervision will depend on the healthcare facility where you work. If you work in a nursing home you will be under the supervision of an RN. On the other hand, if you work in a hospital, doctors and NPs (Nurse Practitioners) will supervise your work.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for an LVN is around $48,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $31,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $60,000 per year. An LVN earns on average AED 120,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for medical LVNs and LPVs expect to grow 9 percent. This is slightly faster than the average for all occupations.
- Education requirements: As we stated before, in order to become an LPV or LVN you will need to take a one-year LVP or LPN program.
6. Is medical laboratory technology an interesting career?
Hospitals, clinics, and physicians’ offices depend on the work of medical laboratory technicians. These professionals are a crucial component of a healthcare facility performing laboratory tests using advanced equipment.
Some of the tasks they perform on a daily basis are: collecting basic samples from patients, analyzing bodily tissues and fluids such as blood or urine, preparing solutions or reagents to add to samples., analyzing antibody compatibility for successful blood transfusions and transplants, and prepping, maintaining, calibrating, and sterilizing lab equipment.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for this healthcare job is around $56,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $31,450, while the top 10 percent earns more than $83,000 per year. A medical lab technician earns on average AED 132,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for medical technicians expect to grow 11 percent. This is quite faster than the average for all occupations.
- Education requirements: In order to become a med lab technician, you will need a high school diploma as well as a certificate in a medical lab technician program. You can earn this certificate in as few as 16 months.
7. What is a physical therapist assistant?
Physical therapist assistants, also known as PTAs or therapist assistants, are healthcare professionals that work under the supervision of physical therapists. They help patients that are recovering from illnesses and injuries to manage pain and regain a full range of motion.
Physical therapist assistants perform a variety of duties. PTAs spend most of their time working one-on-one with patients, carefully observing their recovering process, showing them new exercises and stretches, assisting them on those exercises, and giving them therapeutic massages that aim to speed their physical recovery.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for a physical therapist assistant is around $49,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $34,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $82,500 per year. A PTA earns on average AED 104,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for PTAs expect to grow 33 percent. This is outrageously faster, considering that the average for all occupations is 7 percent,
- Education requirements: In order to become a physical therapist assistant, you need to complete an accredited PTA program. Do not feel discouraged, you can finish a physical therapy assistant program in as few as 18 months. This education consists of courses, lab work, and clinical training.
8. Is being a pharmacy technician worthy?
A pharmacy technician is a medical professional that works directly under the supervision of a pharmacist. Their duties include recording information, helping to fill prescriptions, organizing inventory, processing insurance, accepting payment, and more.
- Annual income (2021): The average annual salary for these healthcare jobs is around $35,000. The bottom 10 percent earns around $24,000, while the top 10 percent earns more than $51,000 per year. A pharmacy technician earns on average AED 63,000 per year in the UAE.
- Employment growth (2020–2030): Job opportunities for pharmacy technicians expect to grow 4 percent.
- Education requirements: Many countries require that pharmacy technicians finish a certification program. You can complete a pharmacy technician program in as few as nine months.
9. How can Connect Health help you find healthcare jobs in the UAE?
If you are looking for healthcare jobs in the UAE, here in Connect Health we can help you find your ideal job. You can sign up on our webpage and apply for many healthcare positions. Make sure you fulfill the requirements and read the job description before applying for a position.
On the other hand, if you are looking for an employee, we can help you find the perfect candidate for your business. We have a wide database of possible candidates where you can find the best employee for your business, or you can post a job vacancy on our webpage if you prefer it.
Would you like to contact Connect Health to obtain information about allied healthcare jobs in the UAE? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com to talk to one of our representatives who will gladly answer all of your questions.